NEXUS PRAYER: STEP TWO – I AM
“Be still, and know that I AM…” – Psalm 46:10a
This key phrase of Psalm 46:10 emphasizes two important truths: First, God is. He exists as the eternal, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent Creator of the universe. And because God exists, and because He created us in His image, we can come to Him with complete confidence that not only does He care about us, but also hears and speaks to us I John 5:14,15.
He is there, and He is not silent.” ~ Francis Schaeffer
Secondly, when we pray to God, we are praying to and connecting with the great I AM that I AM – the very same God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob Exodus 3:6 and the name God used of Himself when commissioning Moses Exodus 3:14 . Indeed, God reveals himself as I AM throughout the entire Old Testament and even in the New Testament through Christ, for example: I AM…” that I Am”, “the root of David”, the “Alpha and Omega”, the “Beginning and the End”, the “Bread of Life”, the “Resurrection”, the “Light of the world”, “ the True Vine”, the “Door”, and others.
- READY? (Ready to give God your full, undivided attention in this step of Nexus Prayer.)
- SET: Set your prayer timer¹ for five minutes, or the appropriate interval (5, 10, 15, 20 m)
- SIT: With your eyes closed during the fifteen seconds of preparation time, sit comfortably in a chair with your hands by your side or in your lap. Breathe normally, and just let your body relax letting go of anything and everything that comes to your mind..
- PRAY: Begin by silently, or softly verbalizing (once): “Be still, and know that I AM…”
- VISUALIZE: For a few seconds, ruminate on the word “I AM.”
- LISTEN: Then, simply be still, silent, and listen to God, ignoring any and all thoughts, problems, memories, sounds, or distractions that may come your way. Should internal thoughts or external distractions arise, simply dismiss them by returning to the prayer word, “God”, of this step of Psalm 46:10. Continue in Nexus Prayer until the chime of your prayer timer¹ prompts you to move to move to Step Three.
NOTES & CREDITS
1 Although you can use your watch, built-in phone timer, or even the the timer on your microwave., I recommend downloading and using Meditation Timer Pro for iPhone from the App Store. The free version (with ads) works perfectly fine, but for only 99¢ you can download and customize the timer without ads. I’ve used it since 2015 with zero problems and love it! Questions about setting up and using the timer? Contact me.
2 Photo Credit: Original Matterhorn photograph by Sam Ferrara (Switzerland) | Used and modified with Permission via Unsplash | Nexus Prayer International